When buying a car, figuring out finance options can be overwhelming. I’ve purchased four cars in my lifetime and each time it was so much work figuring out the best way to finance such a big purchase. With my first car in college I used my dealership to finance the loan and got a much worse interest rate due to my lack of knowledge.
I only wish I had known then what I know now. Just as every four-door sedan is not equal, every loan won’t fit your needs. You need to shop around. Although financing through a dealership might sound easier (it certainly was for a naive 19 year old college student!), a U.S. News & World Report post suggests starting with a local credit union.
Here’s just a few facts about credit unions you may not have known:
- Rates at credit unions are usually better. In one Bankrate.com estimate, auto loan rates at credit unions run between 1 and 1.5 percent lower on average than banks.
- Credit unions offer better service. Members say they get more personalized service than with previous commercial banking experiences.
- The range of educational materials is broader. Credit unions value long-term relationships with members, so almost all are willing to discuss financing options and provide tips about how to assess the value of car purchases.
- Credit unions are nonprofit. This status means representatives aren’t compensated for selling you a loan. Members regain all profits in the form of lower rates on other financial products and more flexible loan options.
I recently learned about a very cool credit union that not only provides all these benefits but also benefits Christian ministry. Evangelical Christian Credit Union (ECCU) is an alliance of Christian people and organizations committed to fueling Christ-centered ministry worldwide. That’s right your checking and savings accounts at ECCU fuel ministry in many ways. They help provide loans to growing churches and other Christian organizations. They also use revenue they earn from financial services to do things like make grants to ministries ($4.58 million since 2005) and offer low-cost banking services to missionaries.
And what better time to get the best deal on a car than Labor Day weekend! ECCU and Galpin Motors have teamed up for a great event with KKLA. Details are below!
Galpin Motors Event
When: Saturday, September 5th from 9:00am-6:00pm
Where: Galpin Ford 15505 Roscoe Blvd., North Hills, CA
What: Shop over 5,000 new and used vehicles. Take advantage of current factory incentives and great Labor Day offers. Plus:
- ECCU members (current and new) receive oil & filter changes for the life of their loan.
- Not a member yet? Sign up before or at the event to receive all member offers.
- The sale and oil & filter change offer runs from Friday, August 28 – Monday, September 7.
DISCLAIMER: This is a sponsored post but all opinions are my own